- ADD OR INCREASE LAYUP. If you live and boat in a region of the US where the weather gets cold and stays cold for months on end, consider adding a lay-up warranty to your policy. The discount to your premium could be as high as 5% per month of lay-up. If you already have a lay-up warranty on your policy then consider extending the lay-up period. As long as you do not leave the slip most policies allow you to go and visit your boat during the lay-up period and spend a night or two on board.
- GO “X WIND”. If you live in a hurricane prone zone, like the Gulf or Florida, buying boat insurance with hurricane coverage is very expensive and often more than twice the price than the same policy that excludes losses from hurricane. Also, policies with hurricane coverage come with a special hurricane deductible that is way higher than the regular deductible. To save money many boaters choose to go “X Wind” and pre purchase a hurricane haul out from a local haul out facility. The significant savings on insurance more than covers the pre purchase expense and hauling and securing the boat ahead of the hurricane is still the best way to avoid damage.
- REDUCE HULL VALUE. Most boats are insured for more than their current market value. Insurance premium is based upon hull value so by reducing hull value you can reduce your insurance costs. Existing loan balance affects how low you can go but if your boat value is under water in this weak boat market, it makes sense to drop the value if you can and save the money.
- INCREASE YOUR HULL DEDUCTIBLE. The frequency of physical damage loss is pretty low in most regions of the US. Therefore the odds are in your favor that if you take all the necessary precautions that are prudent to boat ownership you will not have a claim. Increasing your deductible from 1% to 2% can save you 15% off the total annual premium.
- RESTRICT YOUR NAVIGATION. Long voyages at sea are not really enjoyable to most boaters living on the coast. Day trips are more about family fun. Dropping the navigation to southerly regions not in the immediate plan could add to savings on premium because the insurance company is not exposed to the risk of hazardous navigation.
Selling Boat and Yacht Insurance is not all work and no play. Some times we get to go do what our customers get to do, have fun in the sun. Cabo offers up all kinds of fishing including the challenge of close in shore fly fishing for the Roosterfish. This 42″ bull was caught and released along with 2 of his smaller brothers. Fishing just outside the beach break on the Pacific side at Lands End is a real thrill. Thanks to Picante Sportfishing and Francisco for keeping us off the beach!
On October 25 at Wahweap Marina on Lake Powell, another houseboat engulfed in flames threatens many other boats in the vicinity. This time the sharp eye of of another boater and a quick response by marina personnel avert a disaster. Marina fires are one of the leading causes of no fault loss involving boats and yachts. Marina fires are wake up calls for boat owners to do a check up on their marine insurance policies.
Financial experts agree that the best way to reduce the cost of insurance is to increase the deductible limit on your policy. ¬† Younger drivers age 30-45 in metro areas see dramatic reductions by increasing the policy deductible from $500 to $1000. ¬†Recent studies indicate annual premium reductions of $160 to as much as $400, depending on which Insurance Company you are with. ¬†Deductible reimbursement insurance was created to ¬†pay the policy deductible when your insurer pays a claim. ¬†Raise the deductible, take the savings. The cost of a $1000 is $88 per year, way less than the savings for increasing your deductible. So you will be money ahead and you will have no risk of deductible. ¬†A 10% multi unit discount applies to the total cost if you add a second car or a home or a boat. ¬†Visit ¬† www.zerodeductible.com ¬† today and Completely Eliminate the risk of deductible expense on you auto, home and boat policy.
It’s good to review your boat insurance coverage every now an then. ¬†This particular fire totally destroyed 4 vessels in a little over an hour. The cause of the fire is suspected to be a refrigerator.
If you have upgraded your boat with new interior, new electronics, new machinery, ect, ¬†then all the additional value resulting from the upgrade work should be insured. Call American Marine Insurance for a boat insurance coverage evaluation.
Once again American Marine Insurance leads the way with innovative new product development inside the insurance industry. Now it’s the creation of a brand new type of insurance that protects policyholders against the cost of their policy deductible. The Deductible Reimbursement Policy from Zero Deductible pays the policy deductible to the insured when a claim is paid by the insurance company. ¬†It works for all insurance policies on ¬†boats, cars and homes. For a Zero deductible policy quote visit ¬†www.zerodeductible.com
It was time for a fresh look and update for the American Marine Insurance website. ¬†If you have any comments or suggestions about the look and functionality of our website, we welcome your input.
Boat insurance has never been cheaper than it is today. Why is that? Well, the reason is that there is a absolute glut of companies all competing against each other for your premium dollar. That’s great news for the consumer and a welcome relief for those who have been hard hit by this down economy. There’s a better than average chance you will save money on boat insurance if you call one of the marine specialists at American Marine Insurance today.